Laminate flooring installed by our handyman in London.
Installing laminate flooring is a pretty simple job if you have the right tolls and attention.
For this project you need a jigsaw and to make job easier a circular saw, measure tape, nail gun, pencil, pull bar, spacers, hand saw and multi-angle mitre saw.
- First step is to remove the existing floor, please do not lay laminate flooring on top of existing one especially if its carpet.
- Second step, make sure clear the surface of any debris.
If you have skiting board installed but not enough space to squeeze the floor board under, you can remove skirting board and put it back when the floor is laid. Alternatively, leave 1cm from the skiting board to the floor board and the 1cm gap can be hidden with scotia bidding.
To give the laminate flooring a nice and nit finish when working around the door frames consider cutting the door frame. Put a laminate floor board against the door frame and mark the frame couple of millimetres above using a hand saw. A multi tool will help you achieve this much faster .
A good idea is to run the boards perpendicular with the floor joists but if this visually doesn’t look good to you can lay the flooring as you wish.
Laminate floor Underlay
Most manufactures, recommend foam or fibre underlay. But it all depends on your subfloor (wood or cement ).
Types of underlay:
- Standard underlay Can reduce some noise and it is mould resistant but its not premium quality.
- Silence underlay -Suitable for most installations where sound dampening is key.
- Cork underlay – Can be safely used with floor heating systems to reduce the loss of heat through the subfloor.
- Felt underlay – Felt underlayment is suitable for laminate flooring as well as engineered wood floors and provides a vapor barrier, insulation, and sound reducing properties also helps with minor subfloor imperfections.
Before starting please consider if you want to hide the cut edge of the floorboard under the skirting board or cover with scotia beading.
Please check our other handyman post :
If you need a handyman to help you with installing laminate flooring please don’t hesitate to contact us.